An eye doctor detects vision defects, signs of injury, and eye diseases and treats patients with eye health issues. There are mainly three eye care health professionals: opticians, optometrists, and ophthalmologists. While the role of every eye care health professional might seem similar, each of them plays a different role in providing effective eye care treatment.
Role of Opticians
An optician helps customers fit the contact lenses or glasses after taking the prescription from ophthalmologists or optometrists.
Role of Optometrists
An optometrist examines the patient’s eyes and evaluates vision defects. After analyses, they record the treatment plan. The best ophthalmologist in Mumbai conducts treatment with a proper license. The job of optometrists involves:
● Conducting eye examinations and vision tests
● Prescribing and dispensing corrective lenses
● Examining eye irregularities
● Providing medication for an eye condition
● Providing visual rehabilitation
Role of Ophthalmologists
The job of an ophthalmologist includes treating eye diseases, correcting vision problems, and prescribing medications. They also perform surgery when required. There are some sub-specialties of ophthalmologists, including:
1. Retina specialist – The retina specialist diagnoses macular degeneration, macular holes, diabetic retinopathy, macular puckers, retinal detachments, and others.
2. Cornea specialist – The cornea specialist treats problems of the cornea. They treat patients with eye redness, blurred vision, light sensitivity, and unusual eyes.
3. Neurology specialist – The neurology specialist diagnoses vision problems caused when the eye communicates with the nerves, brain, and muscles.
4. Glaucoma Specialist – The glaucoma specialist treats patients with glaucoma. It is a condition wherein excessive fluid accumulates in the eye.
5. Plastic surgeon- A plastic surgeon repairs the damage to the bones, eyelids, and tears.
6. Paediatric eye surgeon – A pediatric surgeon diagnoses eye misalignment, vision difference between two eyes, and uncorrected refractive errors in children.
These are the different roles of opticians, optometrists, and ophthalmologists. Depending on the patient’s condition and the symptoms, one can make an appointment with the best eye doctor in Mumbai to treat their eye problems.
Knowing the role of different eye care health professionals is essential in determining the right eye specialist for treatment. Without the proper knowledge, patients may not know whom to consult for a specific eye ailment.
Patients must choose the right eye professional based on the treatment they need. Nanavati Max Hospital has some of the best eye doctors in Mumbai. Patients can make an appointment with the following top doctors to get treated.
● Dr. Manohar Shaan
● Dr. Amol Patil
● Dr. Jaini Lodha Bhandari
● Dr. Narayan Jayashankar
● Dr. Ajay Doiphode